Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What you hear when you're listening

Standing in line at the Health Center, I heard a young woman's phone conversation. I wasn't merely eavesdropping, I was doing so intently. The English words were disguised and the letters all mixed up. But, as every good child should, I learned Pig Latin when I was young, and was able to determine that she was telling the person on the other end about her boyfriend's Monday night arrest. I understood that he was arrested for two outstanding warrants, but, she insisted, he was wronfully detained in regard to his involvement in a fight.

"Better be careful," I chided. "I understood every word."

She smiled at me and sort of shrugged apologetically. I was called to the nurses' desk.

I caught up with the woman after we had both finished in the Health Center.

"I'm sorry for eavesdropping, but it's my profession," I said. "You know I was there for the fight on Monday, and I got your boyfriend's name from the police report. Would you mind having him get in touch with me? I'm doing a story on it for the Spartan Daily and I'd like to get his side."

She went into how he was just trying to break up the fight and was arrested for unrelated charges.

And so I add this point to my previous story that never went into print at the Spartan Daily. (A good news bit and poor victim of two people's egos.)

No comments: