Monday, August 07, 2006

The J (as in journalism) life.

Yes, just like I had anticipated, it is hard work being a journalist. But I am loving every minute of it.
All the dribble babble coming out the mouths of the people at the SD seems so juvenile at this point. I hear about those who graduated and going off to mostly Bay Area newspapers for jobs. GOYA! Far off places call me even before my time is up.
I knew a group of guys who used to watch videos of them goofing off in high school, they eyes glazed over with nostalgia thinking about the "good old days."
Really? High school?
And then I see people go off to college, graduate, and instead of going out to seek their fortune, they take a job either at the college or where they are dealing with college kids.
School is just a passage to discover who you are, what you love and who you want to be. It's like the birth canal; you shouldn't want to stay there.
And now I can honestly say I've had a taste for what the big abyss is going to be like. Sure it's a bit overwhelming, but I am certainly grateful it's not commanded by some talentless group of puffed up boys who somehow landed manager positions. If I wanted to surround myself with bullies who get off on power, I would have joined the force.
I'm quite skeptical of the motives behind wanting to stay in that transitional phase, full of uncertainty and a bit of recklessness in many ways.

No comments: