Thursday, August 10, 2006

They're cheating on the propoganda war!

This whole propoganda war, which seems to be far more important than actual goings-on of war, is getting a bit too wierd.
As if there wasn't already enough subjectivity in choosing which photos to use, which shots to take, captions to use, etc, now there's Photoshop.
Here in the newsroom, next to the photo department, I hear the disdain of professional photographers who struggle to get someone to smile for a shot. They use Photoshop to sharpen images and crop them to spec. Would you ever doctor a photo, I ask? No, come one, we're professionals.
And so, the propoganda war, tipped in favor of, or rather tipped away from the favor of Israel. But it's no small wonder, really, because of two reasons:
1--Israel is scrutinized far too much to get away with bad photoshop work.
2--I'd think Israel wouldn't do that. Besides, what would they do? Triple the number of Katyusha rockets sailing through the sky?

Reality is bad enough, nobody needs to embellish it in order to get people riled up.

Just my thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a plan.

Photoshop Nasrallah kicking puppies, kittens and hamsters. That will take care of winning the propaganda war no problem.

We also need to work on how we phrase things. "We are helping the Lebanese people" is maybe not the right choice of words for invading another country. Isn't that what we said in Iraq? I am sorry I retract my previous statement, things are going awesome there!