Wednesday, January 17, 2007

You want pictures?!?

Three weeks down and 24 more to go!!! I settled right in once I trekked through the snow (!) in Jerusalem. The program, Jewel (run by Aish HaTorah) I found to be obsessed with the Old City (Cold City for me!) and was very good at not answering questions. "I smell dissent!" they would think. "Quick! Do something! Sing!"

It was an amazing program all in all. The fact that there were 30 women all on a spiritual quest or looking for a free trip to Israel (as with the incognito Christian girls in the group) said something for the group dynamic. There were some GREAT conversations. And little clusters of us skeptics would separate ourselves and talk about all the contradictions stated. But the dedication to Judaism was strong (except for the Christians) and I learned more than I ever wanted to about those strange black-coat men in the contest for the longest, sleekest, curliest pe'ahs known to Abraham.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

Malkah from Jewel here...how are you? I saw you on Yaffo the other day but I couldn't catch up to you to say hi. I hope all is well. We had incognito christians in our group??? Seriously? Who?

:) Malkah malkahbatchaya@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura...um this is weird but I'm Ariella and I'm an undergrad student from the states, and I'm thinking about going on JEWEL this summer and so I googled "aish jewel brainwashing" and your blog was the first hit. I've heard how aish is, and I'm traditional/conservadox....and already comfortable with my degree of observance and jewishness. But I was looking at jewel because I just want a damn cheap trip to Israel this summer so that I can extend my stay to travel/visit friends. But is it all that bad? I know I won't give in to the brainwashing but is it hard to endure? Any comments would be appreciated! thanks!
Ariella
anouriel@email.unc.edu

Anonymous said...

wow, perspective is so funny. hope j-town is treating you well, laura. shabbat shalom and have a happy, kosher pesach.